UAST - Terms of Service
Participants must agree with the following terms and conditions before signing up to UAST.
Studies in the computer laboratory
Some studies take place in a computer laboratory where each participant sits at a computer and makes decisions based on detailed instructions. Your decisions have an immediate impact on your own earnings and the earnings of the other participants. Experience has shown that students enjoy participating in such studies.
Rules for studies in the computer laboratory:
- A specific number of registered subjects are invited to every study by email. Only invited subjects are allowed to participate in a given study.
- Participants can enroll for a specific time slot via a link sent to them by email. This enrollment is binding.
- All participants are paid at the end of the study. Earnings are paid in Swiss Francs. The amount of money you receive is dependent on participants’ own decisions as well as on those of the other participants.
- Certificates of participation are not signed.
- Participants who arrive late or do not show up at all should note that their failure to attend may result in the study’s cancellation, as studies can only be carried out if there are sufficient participants. The cancellation of a study may cause costs of several thousand Swiss Francs. As a consequence, we are forced to exclude from future studies those persons who fail to show up without a good reason.
Studies in Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroeconomic
In the field of neuroeconomics, researchers try find out what happens in the brain during the process of decision-making. In neuroeconomic studies, different methods, such as imaging procedures and pharmacology, may be applied.
Rules for neuroeconomic studies:
- Participants are contacted by telephone to make an appointment. Participants are informed about procedures as well as payment details, and are given the opportunity to ask questions. Based on the information received, they can decide whether or not they want to participate in that particular study. At this point, they can decline the offer without any consequences.
- Once a participant has enrolled for a specific time slot, that enrollment is binding. The same rules as for studies in the computer laboratory apply.
Database of participants
The data stored in the recruitment system are used for scientific studies only. These data will not be passed on to third parties. The data will be used for the following purposes:
- to inform participants about the latest studies;
- to invite participants to the latest studies;
- to check the presence/absence of enrolled participants;
- to ascertain their participation in previous studies.
- Participants are able to determine whether or not they receive invitations to the latest studies.
- Participation is limited.
- In the course of the studies, data are generated from the participants’ decisions.
- These data are analyzed by the respective institute.
- The data generated from participants’ decisions are made anonymous and cannot be assigned to any specific participant. Consequently, participation is anonymous.
- The data generated and made anonymous are used in scientific papers and lectures. These papers and lectures are published.